Clink

I’m the same… I’ve just read some really up to date reviews of the clink… and security is a really big issue for me. I don’t really care so much about size of rooms etc, but the fact that there seems to be nowhere to individually lock my big pack up worries me. I would hate to lose my stuff before I’ve even got going on the tour.
I’m in the same boat as you, and I’m thinking about cancelling my booking… anybody been before?? Got any info to help us?
Thank you,
Abbey

Wow i have only heard good reviews, not that i have read that many. This will be my first stay in a hostel and i thought each bed booked gets u a locker? I’m with you Abbey. I have already paid for the 3 nights pre departure and it would definitely suck if belongings were to go missing before our tour. It would be good to hear from people who have stayed there before.

I was wondering what to expect from the Clink too. It is so cheap and so close to where the tours leave. One of my friends stayed there and said it was dirty, the staff were rude and she hardly slept because she basically slept with her suitcase on her bed because she was so worried her things would be stolen. I’m thinking a bit more money in a nicer place may be well worth the peace of mind! But that’s just me!

Justine

I’ve stayed there. It’s pretty good for the price. The room I was in had two security lcokers - one under my bed big enough to fit my pack, and another one at the head of my bed where I could lock my handbag. Just take a few spare locks with you, or they can sell you the locks (for a price!).

I’ve stayed in a few hostels in London and the UK, and the quality is very different from what you get back home (I’m a Sydney girl) and in Europe. Some of them are APPALLING, but still charge you lots because, well, it’s London. The Clink has recently been renovated so it’s pretty good. No hostel is 100% secure BUT the lockers really help. And they have an awesome kitchen which means you can save money on buying food by cooking your own.

Well I’m also staying there at night as my tour arrives Clink at 9pm Sept 9 and the next day I’m shifting to a hotel in Paddington as I got a decent deal.I’m also a lil worried after hearing abt such incidents.I’m travelling solo from India.

Hostels are hostels you really cant expect what you do from a hotel.You get what you pay for…I would say share a room with a tour mates at some decent hotel(pay a lil extra) but worth it… as loosing ur luggage/passport is a huge loss…

Oooh I so didnt need to find this before I arrive there :frowning: The 3 days after my tour are going to be horrible because I think I am going to be really ready to go home! I hope that everyone in our room are decent people. Perhaps ill just lock my bag and put all the valuable things in the security lockers?

Hi guys, I have to say I agree with JaneW above! The Clink is pretty good considering London hostel standards. The rooms are cosy but neat, the beds are really solid and comfortable, the bed linen is warm in winter, and the bathrooms are kept pretty clean. As far as sharing a room goes, you never know who you’re going to get as room mates in any hostel, but I was pretty lucky and ended up in an 8 share dorm which had 5 other people travelling on various Topdeck trips. There were security lockers under my bed, which I just locked with my own lock - if your bag is too big to fit then stick any valuables in there and lock them up… or just keep valuables on yourself!

One of the best things about being in hostels is the awesome people you meet - one of my best friends is a girl I met in a London hostel when I arrived here! Just hanging out in the hostel bar for an evening can often lead to some great friendships!

[quote=18022]I’ve stayed there. It’s pretty good for the price. The room I was in had two security lockers - one under my bed big enough to fit my pack, and another one at the head of my bed where I could lock my handbag. Just take a few spare locks with you, or they can sell you the locks (for a price!).

I’ve stayed in a few hostels in London and the UK, and the quality is very different from what you get back home (I’m a Sydney girl) and in Europe. Some of them are APPALLING, but still charge you lots because, well, it’s London. The Clink has recently been renovated so it’s pretty good. No hostel is 100% secure BUT the lockers really help. And they have an awesome kitchen which means you can save money on buying food by cooking your own.[/quote]

I just got to learn that Travelodge Royal Scot King Cross is just next to clink and is costing 35 pounds for a single room with bathroom.Is it a worth it deal?? as clink is charging 23 pounds per bed for a 4 bed ensuite room…

Please advice???

Originally, I wanted to stay at the Travelodge Royal Scot King Cross, but they charge 79 euros/night (the price showed on their website) compare to Clink (23 euros/bed for 10 bed ensuite). I mean its a good deal b/c you’ll have an entire room and bathroom to yourself!!!
I am traveling alone, so I don’t mind staying at Clink for 3 nights before my tour begins because its a good way to meet new people. The only thing that worries me is theft/security.
If you say that Travelodge is offering a room for 35 pounds then take it!! I know that I would if I had more money, but I am on a budget!!!

Hi,

I’ve read some pretty good things about the Clink and have to say that after being in London last year and staying in a better hostel, the Clink didn’t do so well for me. I met a girl from Aus there and the staff at the front desk gave her passport to someone else (as you have to give them ID to put your bags in the common bag lock up room)!! They got her passport back but they didn’t take any responsibility for giving it away to the wrong person.

Being as I travelled by myself, I never felt comfortable walking from the tube to the hostel by myself. The area can be quite sketchy at times.

Be careful about which locks you bring to lock up your things. My locks didn’t fit any of the lockers. The bag locks under the beds were too small for any of the bags that were in my room ( and I had a bag that was under 10KG so quite small). I was in a girls 10 bed dorm and we were packed into it like sardines. The room was quite stuffy and there was no air circulation. The girls only showers were horrid. Some drains didn’t drain and it felt like you were standing in other people’s muck while you were showering. Definately bring shower sandles or shoes.

After staying at the Clink before my trip I was glad I didn’t book in there after the trip. The best London hostel I’ve ever stayed at was the Astor Hyde Park. It’s a new-ish (under two years old) remodel and it was roomy and clean. The 12-bed dorm I stayed in there had lots and lots of room compared to the Clink.

If you don’t have high expectations then I expect your stay will be just fine. It just happened that it was not very well managed when I was there. I can say with certainty that I will never stay there again.

J

I ended up booking Best Western in Paddington area.It’s defn expensive than clinks(3 times) but still worth it …I’ll just take a cab from clinks to my hotel.

As I wont have any tensions of loosing my passport or something stolen from my bag…

Hey guys! My trip is getting closer and closer and I need to work out where I am staying too! I’m a little worried about the Clink after some things I’ve read. Someone was saying you can book single rooms at the Clink, does anyone know if that’s possible? I guess that way you know your belongings are safe! Another option I’m considering is staying at a cheapish hotel near the Clink so that I won’t be late the morning of my tour. Does anyone have any advice for me?

I looked into a single room at clink and it is about 50-70 pounds per night (depending on if its a weekend). That is the cheapest so far ive found that is close to kings cross. But let me know if you find cheaper.
Im going to get my own room as im exploring London for a few days before my trip and dont want to have to carry my bag around or have to worry about leaving it in there lock-up, which doesnt sound to safe at all.

Hey guys!

While I’ve never stayed at the Clink, I have stayed at other budget youth hostels in London and let me tell you all that you can relax. Imagine living in a university dorm (rooms shared with peers, community bathrooms) and you will get a good picture of a hostel. I would definitely pack flip flops for the shower, ear plugs (or just use your ipod) and eye shades for sleeping, and don’t be stupid with your stuff and you’ll be fine. There is an unspoken code with hostel guests that no one will touch your stuff while you’re out. I’m not going to promise that all your beer will still be there if you decide to leave that under your bunk when you go out, but nobody is going to want to go through your personal items (would you go through a mix of someone’s dirty and clean clothes?). Get a money belt to carry your passport, traveler’s checks, cash, etc with you all day, and invest in a pad lock for the lockers under your bed for your laptop. Everything else (phone, ipod, camera) just keep on you. While sleeping, you can always lock up your purse or daypack under your bed but chances are you’d be fine anyway if you keep your things near your bed. Better advice? Make friends with as many people as your sharing a room with (ask about sights they saw that day, where they’re from, how long they’ll be traveling for) that way you can all keep an eye each other’s things.

[quote=18415]Hi all,

I know what you mean. I am a bit paranoid about my bag especially in one huge room, let alone in the luggage room. When are you all going to be in London, maybe we can organise a shared room??? Just an idea.

Also has anyone stayed at the YHA? I am looking for other possibilities if the Clink doesn’t work out for me. I will lose money but hey, it could be worse.

I am there from the 4th July until my trip on the 8th, anyone else around then?[/quote]

Hi NewTripper

I will be staying at the Clink from the 6th until the 8th of July as well… What trip are you doing??

I am also in London from the 2nd till the 4th but I will be staying at the Generator for both those nights

There are many options one can think off such as

1.Book a single room ensuite at clinks for 60-80 GBP

2.Travelodge Royal Scot King Cross:Its is 350 ft away from clinks and sometimes one can get a single room ensuite room for like 35 GBP(very rare)…The highest ive seen is 79 GBP.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/hotel_overview.php?hotel_id=269

3.Just get a room in central london(take a taxi frm clink.I’m staying in paddington at the best western and is costing me 150 GBP for 2 nights(75 GBP per night) which includes breakfast and is 200 m frm paddington(heathrow express 15 minutes).Its 3 miles from clink so a taxi is like 10-11 or walking to king’s cross station is 10 minutes and then taking tube is another 15 minutes.

It all depends…I’ve chosen the third option as I have an early morning flight from heathrow and is a safer bet after seeing reviews from tripadvisor. Clink’s and travelodge have average reviews.

Thanks guys, that’s really useful infomation. I’ll be arriving in London on July 3rd and decided to stay at a central hotel for 2 nights and need to decide where to stay the 5th (the night before my tour). Is Travel lodge a hostel or a hotel?

Travelodge is a hotel…Travelodge Royal scot is the nearest to clinks

Hi all

there are 2 clink hostel near king’s cross. Can some one advise which one topdeck pickup/dropoff at? Clink78? or Clink261 (aka Ashlee’s house)?