Big Red to Red Star 2016/17

Hi everyone!

Is there anyone else planning on doing this trip? I have booked for the tour departing 27th December, although I’m flying in to Helsinki a few days earlier (fingers crossed for a white Christmas!).

I would also love to hear from anyone who has done this trip previously! Please share your tips :smile:

Hi Pip,

I’m also booked on the same trip and plan to head to Helsinki a couple of days early. I can’t wait, I’m really looking forward to it! A white Christmas would be fantastic!

Max

Hi Max

I know, I’m so excited…I can’t stop thinking about everything I want to do even though it’s still so far away haha.

If there’s a few of us there early we should organise to meet up for a dinner or something before the tour starts :slight_smile:

Yeah i can’t wait, Russia has always been high on my list of go to places. Apparently Tallinn is really nice too, so I’m looking forward to that as well.

I’d definitely be keen to meet up pre-trip, it’s always good to get to know the people on your trip ASAP. I think I’ll probably fly into Helsinki on Christmas Eve at this stage.

Hi all!
I’ll be doing this trip too. I’m just wondering if anyone can recommend some things to do in Helsinki before the meeting day. I’m planning to travel a little through Sweden first too :slight_smile:
Thanks!
Maddie

Hey Maddie :slight_smile:

I have a massive list of things to do! I love planning so I’ve been looking at travel sights obsessively since I booked haha. I definitely want to check out Suomenlinna, the Helsinki Cathedral and the Rock Church, and the National Museum and the Design Museum.

One thing I discovered though is that almost everything is closed from the 24th to the 26th of December for Christmas so it’s going to be very quiet. The main Christmas markets also finish on the 22nd (I arrive the 23rd…oops), so that’s something to bear in mind with your planning :slight_smile:

G’day all :slight_smile:
I will also be on this tour - how exciting! Has been a long dream to visit Russia, can’t believe it’s only a few months away. I will flying from Reykjavik into Helsinki on the same day this tour meets up. Unfortunate that I’m cutting my Finland stay so short, however I hope the rest of the adventure makes up for my poor planning!

Would be awesome to meet up beforehand if the opportunity arises.
Safe travels,
Steve

Hi all, I am thinking of booking this tour for the 23 December…does any one know about the Russian visa requirements for Australians?

Georgie

Hi Georgie,

I went to Russia 2 years ago, but the visa application process should be the same. You will first need to get a letter of invitation to visit Russia. I understand that Top Deck should supply this so I would ask for it. You then need to go onto the embassy website and fill out the form

http://sydney.mid.ru/web/sydney-en/tourist-visa

Once you have done that, my understanding is you print out the form, sign it and then send the form along with your passport, your invitation and the visa fee ($150 for an Australian citizen). If you live in Sydney you should be able to do this in person.

It takes a bit of effort but isn’t too difficult. Good luck!

Ben

Hi everyone, I am booked on to this tour and cant wait. I will be in Helsinki from the 26th if anyone fancies a drink the day/night before? x

Hi!
Anybody doing the trip on 11th to 20th in Jan?? Travelling solo and getting back to the airport (Domodedovo) looks bit complicated, anyone heading out on the 20th!?

Payton :slight_smile: