Backpack vs. Suitcase?

Hey everyone![br][br]It’s my fist time going to Europe ALONE! I need a bit of advice, I’m thinking of taking a EuroClub tour, so is it better to go with a suitcase or backpack? And what size is appropriate?[br][br](Also to let you guys know, I will be travelling in Africa/Europe for a total of two months, including the EuroCLub tour.)

backpack might be a better choice with all that travelling. if you were just doing the euroclub tour, i’d say suitcase is just fine/better - but with africa, etc - backpack is probably more convenient![br][br]or…since i was looking at this yesterday - get one that kind of is a hybrid:[br][br]http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/HSRWD30.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=HSRWD30BK[br][br]lets you roll it, or wear it like a backpack. might be buying that soon![br][br][br]Europe Unplugged *July 2008[br]Alps & Matadors (Part of Pioneer) *June 2009[br]Northern Exposure Club (Part of Red Star) May 16th-June 6th 2010[br]Athens to London Camping June 7th-July 3rd 2010

there are lots of opinions amongst these forums on what to take, personal i purchased a wheeled backpack… they are awesome you can either use the trolley or as a backpack, the one i got has fitted back strips with lots of padding[br][br]i got the bag below[br]http://caribee.com.au/product.php?prd=67

Go with a backpack. With suitcases you tend to pack too much stuff you never need, plus it’s way easier to carry backpacks up and down stairs and on public transport.

Though my pet hate is people dragging their wheelie bags up and down stairs making a “thunk thunk thunk” noise, so I might be biased!

I’d go with a backpack that also has an attached daypack - 2 in 1. In a lot of the European hotels they don’t have lifts and I can tell you it’s easier to lug a backpack than a suitcase. I do know on the last Top Deck tour I did they preferred backpacks as they were easier to fit in the back of the bus.

Hi, me an my partner are going on the European Pioneer EuroClub tour, and we are taking backpacks with attachable day packs as mentioned by Anasatasia. That way there’s no dramas with stairs or anything, and you’ve got a backpack to use for day trips when you don’t need your whole bag:)

Hey everyone, thanks for your help!!

Did a ten day trip last year through hostels, got a Karrimor Global, and was great. opened up so can get access easily and zip on of day back that clips to front was great. Also handy for when on the tube in London to stop getting pushed about as much :smiley: . More than half the others had suitcases i reckon and it’s simply down to personnel preference. Some like the bag on their back others like wheeling it behind them. We had a night in a castle and they told us to make up overnight bag (everyone had a little backpack to) as would be a pain trying to get cases down to it along the path.

I think it comes down to personal preference. I’m taking a lightweight suitcase with me. I really don’t like carrying backpacks, and in all of the travelling I’ve done I’ve never had issues with having a suitcase. Plus my boyfriend is coming with me, so he can carry it up the stairs if necessary :slight_smile:

Can anyone recommend a certain suitcase/backpack size? I’m thinking of getting a wheeled backpack, around 75 litres, but I just found a different one which is 70 litres…
I’m just not sure what kind of size I’ll need!

I’m taking a 65L backpack with a 15L detachable daypack. I think it’s big enough, and I’m travelling for over 3 months. I’m only bringing about a week’s worth of clothes and 3 pairs of shoes.

Awesome, thanks Ice T. I think I’ll definitely get the 70L. It’s a backpack with wheels, and has a detachable day pack which is around 15 - 20L. I don’t think I’ll take a heap of clothes, but I want some room for souvenirs for the family.

Ok so suitcases are allowed on topdeck trips? or NO…im so confused some people say they are not allowed and that backpacks are better
Well…personally im not planning to take a lottttt of stuff with me but i also dont think a backpack could fit the stuff that i need, considering its very uncomfortable to put and take out stuff from a backpack…everything will be so wrinkly too. As well for a person who has some back problems and is not allowed to carry heavy packpacks on their back…how would that work, i mean obviously i would need a suitcase for that…it could just be a small suitcase too…not like one of those regular big ones that people usually travel with. You think topdeck will allow me to take a suitcase? Apparently ive been told that suitcases damage the bus …but so would the backpacks too…so it doesnt make a difference in my opinion

Suitcases are definitely allowed, so you don’t need to worry. It’s not that suitcases damage the bus, but some external framed packs damage the other bags, so they’re not allowed. As long as you’re not over the weight or size limits, a suitcase is fine.

oh ok great, i would prefer a suitcase for sure over a backpack…even though many people say ye ye u would need a backpack its just a lot easier
well it’s a personal preference. I’ve travelled with a suitcase before and i was glad i had it as it allowed me to bring things that i wanted to have with me and also all my clothes wasnt as wrinlky and unorganized as if i put it in a backpack

I’d prefer a backpack. The one I purchased is made of x-pac material that is rip- and water-proof. It also opens like a suitcase, which makes things so much easier than just a standard backpack. It’s also a lot more comfortable as I won’t be lugging around a suitcase (that and the fact all the weight of the backpack sits on the hips to prevent back aches). But yes, it’s a personal preference. =)

I got one of the wheeled backpacks from Caribee. It opens like a suitcase too, which I thought was awesome as it’s easier to pack and I wouldn’t have to go rummaging through a bag that only opens at the top. So I can either carry it or pull it along depending on the terrain or however my back is feeling!

Can anyone reccomend a store in the US that sells these fancy wheeled backpacks witha daypack?

Since you’re in MI try a store called REI. They have three locations in MI but outside of the greater Detroit area.

Keep in mind that if you plan on carrying your bag like a backpack often, make sure that the wheels don’t dig into your back. I suggest packing the bag with weights in the store and carry it around the store for at least 15 minutes to see how it feels.

[quote=15276]Since you’re in MI try a store called REI. They have three locations in MI but outside of the greater Detroit area.

Keep in mind that if you plan on carrying your bag like a backpack often, make sure that the wheels don’t dig into your back. I suggest packing the bag with weights in the store and carry it around the store for at least 15 minutes to see how it feels.[/quote]

Thanks for the recomendation, I’ll look into finding one of those stores!