Back pack or duffel bag?

I know there are heaps of threads regarding luggage and I’ve read them all but still want advice![br][br]I’m doing a EuroClub trip for 24 days through Europe and I don’t know whether to get a backpack with wheels or a duffel bag with wheels (main difference being you can’t put a duffel bag on your back you can only carry it) So I guess my main question is how often will I need to cart my luggage around? Enough to warrant a back pack?[br][br]Any advice please![br][br]Naomi

Hi Naomi[br][br]I am doing the same tour as you, but i am also doing a bit of travel before and after my tour (are u?)[br][br]I am taking a backpack because i would like to have my hands free and i read somewhere (might have been on here or another forum) that its a pain in the arse to try and wheel a bag on cobbled streets.[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

They both have there downsides to them.[br]I took a suitcase last time I went. It was convenient to find things but was a bit of a pain when there were no lifts and I had to carry the thing up the stairs. I did a lot of travel by myself as well. But, being a girl you can always play on the kindness of a guy :wink: haha.[br]Just kidding, I actually did it myself even though on occasions help was offered.[br]A back pack is good in the sense it’s easy to take up stairs when there are no lifts but then you are carrying all that weight on your back. But, it is also harder to pack somewhat I’ve heard.[br]I plan on taking a suitcase again on my next trip :)[br][br]You shouldn’t encounter that many roads that are cobbled though Leeana. Unless it’s when your traveling by yourself. The only one I can recall was in Rome i think when we were visiting the roman forum. They normally drop you off pretty close to your accomodations anyway.[br]But, don’t quote me on there not being any lol

lol its all good cruisey - ive never been there lol[br][br]btw my backpack opens up like a suitcase (kinda) so it doesnt pack from the top and i wont have to pull everything out to get to things :)[br][br]you can always look at those kinds of backpacks too (i got mine from kathmandu :))[br][br]Leeana[br]Canberra, Australia[br]Spirit of Europe 16 Sept 08[br]+ London Stopover[br]+ Edinburgh Minibreak

I just got this from the Rick Stevens site. Looks like it will be able to fit all my stuff plus room for extra. http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=139[br][br]it is on sale now. 20% off

I have atcually just bought a duffel bagthat turns into a backpack as well- so for those time when there are cobbled streets, no lifts, or men around you can put it on your back and use it as a backpack, but it also has lots of handles to carry it as well. I think the brand is Swiss Gear or soemthing along those lines ill have to check, but it opens up like a suitcase and just enough compartments. I found that if you want a backpack with whells they are extermley uncomfortable, whereas this one i found really comfortable, 10 year warranty cheap perfect size within size restrictions but still can go up to 100L capacity if need be. So you just have to search around and try them on, check them out and see what suits you.

Thanks guys, been very helpful :slight_smile: Who’d have thought something so simple could be so complicated (or at least complicated for me!)