ANZ Travel Card or Travelex Cash Passport

Hi guys! :)[br][br]Just wondering what everyone’s using re money![br][br]I’m leaning toward the ANZ Travel card, but then I heard some things about the Travelex Cash Passport card.[br][br]I think they would basically do the same thing? But any advice would be great :)[br][br]Cheers[br][br]Colina[br][br]…grand european…[br]…July 28th 2009…

ANZ Travel Card. You get about 55euro per dollar on it at the moment which is good.[br][br]No fee’s on purchases is the drawcard.[br][br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Greek Islands Fun in the Sun

Yep I got the ANZ travel card too, over the travelex card. I can’t remember why now, but though they are both very similar there were a few small things that made the ANZ card better.

There is a thread about this already, which has alot of replies.[br][br]Personally I am going with the NAB Gold Debit Card.[br][br]No fee’s at all. Purchases and ATM.[br][br]And if you deposit over $5000.00 they waive the monthly fee, which is only $10.00 anyway.[br][br]But I would also recommend a Credit Card, and you never know when you might be in a sticky situation. As in Europe alot of places dont want to take a card without a chip in it. (Most CC these days do have them, but you will have to ask to make sure.)[br][br]I am taking the NAB Gold Debit and a Commonwealth 4.99% low rate Matercard with no annual fee($24) if I spend over $1000.00. Also Im going to cancel it when I get back from Europe.[br][br]Hope this helps.[br][br]Spirit of Europe 23rd June 2009

Hey, I’ve been looking into this myself and I’m leaning more towards the ANZ card than the Travelex. The main reason being that I believe Travelex charge you a currency conversion fee if say you had purchased a GBP card for the UK but then went to France & used an ATM to withdraw money in Euros for instance. [br][br]With the ANZ card, you can use it in any country without any extra currency conversion fees regardless of what currency you originally put the card in…[br][br]Hope this helps! [br][br]:slight_smile: Bonnie[br][br]European Odyssey October 31st 2009

cool. thanks guys. i’m definately going with the anz card now.[br]may be a stupid question, BUT would you get a euro one or both the euro and pounds one because i’ll be in london for a week before the tour.[br][br][br][br]Colina[br][br]…grand european…[br]…July 28th 2009…

I’'m going the UK and Europe as well. I’m just getting the Euro one… In the UK you can still use the Euro card at ATM’s and when you withdraw it just comes out in Pounds!

Look at the ANZ fee’s and charges for that card before you get it.[br][br]See how much they charge you for withdrawing cash at an ATM, normally its about $2.50 + a fee from the bank ATM you are using (as it wont be ANZ)normally around the same amount.[br][br]So you’ll be getting slugged about $5.00 for one ATM cash withdrawel.[br][br]Also most banks charge for balance enquiries too.[br][br]Spirit of Europe 23rd June 2009

Got my ANZ travel card today. I got an exchange rate of .5513 which I think is pretty good.[br][br]Grand European July 2009[br]+ Greek Islands Fun in the Sun

Has anyone had any dramas using the ANZ Travel Card (or any other visa debit card) in the UK when it doesn’t have a chip and pin? I know it will be ok withdrawing money from ATM’s but i’m not sure about in-store purchases…[br][br]Thanks :slight_smile:

Just wondering, i was talking to someone last night who went on a contiki last year, and says that on top of the atm fee or eftpos fee your bank charges, the retailer can charge you a fee as well, as in thats how the regulations are…i’m not 100% sure of this can anyone back that up?

[quote]Originally posted by jessica1[br]
I’'m going the UK and Europe as well. I’m just getting the Euro one… In the UK you can still use the Euro card at ATM’s and when you withdraw it just comes out in Pounds![br][/quote][br][br]Really? What are the conversion rates like?[br][br]This would save so much hassle because I was going to have to get two cards - one for GBP and one for EUR…[br][br]Also, does anyone know whether we need to buy swizz francs if we’re going to Switzerland…I know that sounds silly but someone said to me that they usually also take Euros.[br][br]European Odyssey 2009

I’'m going the UK and Europe as well. I’m just getting the Euro one… In the UK you can still use the Euro card at ATM’s and when you withdraw it just comes out in Pounds![br][/quote][br][br]Really? What are the conversion rates like?[br][br]This would save so much hassle because I was going to have to get two cards - one for GBP and one for EUR…[br][br]Also, does anyone know whether we need to buy swizz francs if we’re going to Switzerland…I know that sounds silly but someone said to me that they usually also take Euros.[br][br]European Odyssey 2009

[quote]Originally posted by Tahlia[br][br]
There is a thread about this already, which has alot of replies.[br][br]Personally I am going with the NAB Gold Debit Card.[br][br]No fee’s at all. Purchases and ATM.[br][br]And if you deposit over $5000.00 they waive the monthly fee, which is only $10.00 anyway.[br][br][/quote][br][br]I had a look at the NAB Gold Card and the ANZ Travelcard and I guess for me I am just trying to decide if I think the dollar will get better or stay the same or if it might go lower? That’s the only drawback for me on the Gold card is that you are susceptible to the possibility of a lower exchange rate (should that happen). If the dollar drops substantially while we are away then we would lose a lot more money than paying 2.5 euro for each cash withdrawal like you do on the Travelcard…I guess it’s a bit of a gamble! Decisions, decisions! Hmmmm…[br][br][br]Europe 10/08/2009 - 28/10/2009[br]European Emperor 20/08/2009[br]Bravo Italia 30/08/2009[br]

Hi, I would also be keen to hear from anyone who has researched the credit card option.[br][br]I’ll also take Debit and Credit, but am having a hard time getting my head around low fees and charges for O/S ATM withdrawals/purchases vs. low interest rate.[br][br]Just curious for opinions from anyone who has done this previously/ what works well? Ta

[quote]Originally posted by nic_is_excited[br]
Has anyone had any dramas using the ANZ Travel Card (or any other visa debit card) in the UK when it doesn’t have a chip and pin? I know it will be ok withdrawing money from ATM’s but i’m not sure about in-store purchases…[br][br]Thanks :)[br][/quote][br][br]i went to europe last year and i didn’t have any dramas using my anz travel card (great thing that you can lock the currency so in case the market went down, you’re good). [br][br]i usually took out about 300 euros and that last me several days, saves me from atm fees & the hassle of locating atms whilst sightseeing. because visa/mastercard is accepted everywhere you won’t have any problem. [br][br]btw, don’t worry about making big purchases through your card (with no chip), they will still accept your card with no issues as they can put it through manually (the old style way where they would have to carbon copy it). [br][br]:)[br][br]

[quote]Originally posted by nic_is_excited[br]
Has anyone had any dramas using the ANZ Travel Card (or any other visa debit card) in the UK when it doesn’t have a chip and pin? I know it will be ok withdrawing money from ATM’s but i’m not sure about in-store purchases…[br][br]Thanks :)[br][/quote][br][br]i went to europe last year and i didn’t have any dramas using my anz travel card (great thing that you can lock the currency so in case the market went down, you’re good). [br][br]i usually took out about 300 euros and that last me several days, saves me from atm fees & the hassle of locating atms whilst sightseeing. because visa/mastercard is accepted everywhere you won’t have any problem. [br][br]btw, don’t worry about making big purchases through your card (with no chip), they will still accept your card with no issues as they can put it through manually (the old style way where they would have to carbon copy it). [br][br]:)[br][br]

[quote]Originally posted by lilly[br]

I’'m going the UK and Europe as well. I’m just getting the Euro one… In the UK you can still use the Euro card at ATM’s and when you withdraw it just comes out in Pounds![br][/quote][br][br]Really? What are the conversion rates like?[br][br]This would save so much hassle because I was going to have to get two cards - one for GBP and one for EUR…[br][br]Also, does anyone know whether we need to buy swizz francs if we’re going to Switzerland…I know that sounds silly but someone said to me that they usually also take Euros.[br][br]European Odyssey 2009[br][/quote][br][br][br]Hi Lilly, you would need to change your euros to swiss francs before heading off to switzerland as they prefer it. dont worry, your tour leader will tell you where you can change your money.

[quote]Originally posted by lilly[br]

I’'m going the UK and Europe as well. I’m just getting the Euro one… In the UK you can still use the Euro card at ATM’s and when you withdraw it just comes out in Pounds![br][/quote][br][br]Really? What are the conversion rates like?[br][br]This would save so much hassle because I was going to have to get two cards - one for GBP and one for EUR…[br][br]Also, does anyone know whether we need to buy swizz francs if we’re going to Switzerland…I know that sounds silly but someone said to me that they usually also take Euros.[br][br]European Odyssey 2009[br][/quote][br][br][br]Hi Lilly, you would need to change your euros to swiss francs before heading off to switzerland as they prefer it. dont worry, your tour leader will tell you where you can change your money.

I know with the Travellex cash passport the rates that you get on the day are the ones you stick with so if you find favourable rates I would definitely use that in case the exchange changes drastically.[br][br]Grand European Tour[br]August 25th 2009