Advice for free days on European Summer trips

Hey everyone,
I’m doing the European Getaway starting on July 1st 2017 and I’m looking for advice on how to plan out my free days.
How far are the hostels from the main city centres and what time is breakfast?
Do a lot of people on the group want to visit a lot of attractions as well or mainly chill?

Wondering whether to book tours on my own of museums etc and how to plan them around the optional activities and meals.

Any advice is appreciated!
Thankyou

Hi @wanderer91

I did the Spirit of Europe last year, so I can give you some insight into how free days work.
The distance from the hostel to city centre can vary greatly. Smaller places, like the Swiss Alps, you’ll obviously be in the thick of town, but I recall in Venice and Rome we were pretty far out.

Breakfast is generally somewhere between 7-8:30, depending on how you’re all getting into the city centre. For example, sometimes the coach would drop us off, so breakfast would be earlier so we would all be ready to go.

As for what people in the group want to do, you really get a mix. Some people are just keen on partying and not seeing the city, others want to see it all. Word of advice - if you really want to see a certain attraction and no one else does, just go and do it! I really wanted to see the Stasi Museum in Berlin but no one wanted to go with me, so I just went off and did it myself and I’m glad I did.

It can be pretty to pre-book tours around optionals and meals. So have a look at what else is on that day, and weigh up whether you want to do the sightseeing more or the tour you’re booking yourself.

Thankyou so much for your reply! @cjw96
That’s exactly what I was wondering. I’ll probably wait until they give us the details of where we’re staying in each city to book extra tours etc
Hope you enjoyed your trip! :slight_smile:

Hi @cjw96!

I was wondering if you could answer a few q’s for me?
How far in advance are you able to book optional extras, and when do we find out where we’re staying?

Thanks heaps!

Hey @Hollie.Sykes I haven’t been on my trip yet but I believe we book the optional stuff the day before on the tour bus/ at the hostel.
And I’m doing a Europe trip in July and my accomodation is already up even though the app says they release it 2 weeks beforehand. It’s worth checking out your trip notes on the top deck website as they change.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Hey
@wanderer91 is correct, you get to book the optionals on the bus the day you are travelling to that city, the trip leader will pass around a sheet that you tick next to your name if you want to do that activity, they will then collect money later on that day/at your accommodation.
If you dont have access to the app, you can always ask the travel agent you booked with or contact topdeck directly, otherwise you get a sheet of all the places you stay at the beginning of the trip

Hope this helps you :slight_smile:

Hello, please try to read Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort review and visit them more often on your future Finland tours. They are simply awesome and welcoming!