A Warning About Left Luggage

Hi, I am posting this out of service to the topdeck community. I hope it helps others to very carefully consider leaving luggage at the left luggage storage at the Clink78 in London.

3 weeks ago my sister left for London to do a working holiday. She had 1 day in London before doing a topdeck tour to begin her working holiday. Being that she was going for such a long holiday she had more luggage than she could carry on her tour. She read every last page on this forum trying to find some advice on what she should do with her excess baggage. We knew that luggage could be left in the left luggage room at the Clink hostel but wasn’t sure if this was going to be safe enough. Nobody on this forum seems to have ever posted about their experiences leaving luggage at the Clink. We just assumed that no news is good news.

However, it was not in my sisters case. She had returned from her tour to find that her luggage has been stolen and has lost a lot of expensive stuff. Not to mention the stress and inconvenience of having to do an insurance claim and replace everything that was stolen when she should now be enjoying her holiday.

This is a warning to anybody thinking that it wont happen to them. The staff at the Clink78 hostel said to my sister…‘this kind of stuff never happens’. Well maybe it is just that it never gets posted on this forum, and the staff at the Clink are not gonig to tell you their luggage storage isn’t secure.

I understand that leaving luggage is at your own risk. I am not posting this to be sour, I simply want to give other travellers the information that my sister didn’t have. If she had seen a post like this in the days before her trip (and believe me we looked for a post like this!) she would have definatley not have left her luggage to be stolen.

Hi,

So sorry to here about your sister’s luggage! Your comments have been forwarded to our operations team and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for letting us know about the situation.

Topdeck Team

HI There!

Thank you for your comment we appreciate your feedback.

We are sorry to hear the bad news regarding your sisters luggage and hope she was able to claim all her lost goods in the end!
Unfortunately these things can be unavoidable at times and we do not recommend anyone to leave their luggage in our free storage luggage room for a long period as this room is mainly provided for guests who are arriving early before check in time or checking out and wish to leave their bags during the day.

However we will not restrict any guests who are going on the top deck tour from using this room but must always be aware anything left is at your own risk although we have CCTV we strongly do not recommended to leave any valuables as many guests have access to this room on a daily basis.

We hope this will not effect your trust in our hostel and if any problems do occur there will always be a Clink member of staff willing to assist in any way! :slight_smile:

Please feel free to get back to us again with any further comments.

CLINK78 Team

Sadly it has effected our trust in the hostel, I will very soon be staying there to begin my own tour and I am very worried.

I would like to clarify this as I have only just arrived in London and spoken to my sister properly about the incident.

The luggage was not simply left amongst the bags in this room, it was inside of a padlocked locker within the hostel. Being that she was extremely worried that something like this might happen, she was originally planning to have her luggage stored in one of the barcoded lockers that was charged at a £2 per day rate and was prepared to pay up to £42 for the whole period. The reason she didn’t do this is that a member to staff at the Clink talked her out of this option. The staff member specifically said that she would instead reccomend she choose to leave her luggage in this other locker which was just as secure as the barcoded lockers and was free of charge.