37 Day - Red Star Special 11th July 2010

Hey Steve,[br][br]I have booked for this trip as well but departing on the 27th June. I’ll be traveling alone. So excited already although it is still a long way away. ;D[br]

Hi Steve,[br][br]Before this trip,I will be doing Europe Pioneer departing early May with a friend. Then, I have about 2 weeks free before heading to Berlin. I’m a bit nervous about traveling alone. Have you been to Europe before?[br][br]

Hi Steve,[br][br]I’m all booked for this trip on the 11th July, before hand going to Africa including world cup. Then 13 days london and maybe Ireland. [br]Doing this alone which I’m petrfried about then got 3 days break and do European Pioneer with a mate.[br][br][br][br]Mick

Hi Steve, [br][br]I’m from the down the mornington Peninsula in Victoria, you. I think I turn 24 whilst in Oslo which will be intresting. [br][br]Yeah doing a tour of Botswanna and Victoria falls before the cup which if I make it out alive should be good. Are u just doing Ireland and the tour?[br][br]Mick

Hi all[br][br]I have booked the Scenic Scandi tour from Oslo to Tallinn, departing the 4th July 2010. [br][br]It joins the Red Star Special that departs on the 27th of June, so I will be seeing you there Yvonne.[br][br]I booked yesterday & the girl said there was only 9 spots left (8 now) so there are more of us out there.

Hi Steve[br][br]I have been England, scotland, wales before as well as Milan, Italy… But I have not done the big Europe trip before. But I’m finally doing it next year, I’m spending 11 weeks over there.

Hey everyone, [br][br]I’m looking to do hopefully the Northern Exposure part of the tour in June next year. What I was wondering is what is the general age-group of people going? I know the tours are for anyone from 18-35, but how old are people who are looking at the Red Star trip in general?[br]Amanda :slight_smile:

Hey Steve[br][br]I?m planning on going on 20th June and looking forward to it although I haven?t booked yet! [br][br]Thanks for the ideas on ages on the tour, and I think you might be right with more people who have travelled a bit rather than being a first trip to Europe. I was just curious as I don?t know much about Topdeck and what sort of age-group the Euroclub trips would attract. I’ve been on other tours with different tour companies before and have had mixed age-groups each time which has been great. [br][br]Amanda[br]

Hi all,[br]I did the Red Star Special trip last year, you will have a ball it is an amazing trip. In regards to ages, we had a few 18-21 year olds who had never been to Europe before but the majority were people in mid 20s to mid 30s range who had done a fair amount of travel in the past.[br]Have a great trip.[br][br]Jen :slight_smile:

Hi Amanda[br][br][br]I have booked the Scenic Scandi tour from Oslo to Tallinn, departing the 4th July 2010. It joins the Red Star Special that departs on the 27th of June.[br][br]I am doing Europe b4 that but with a different company which the age group is 18 to 55, but they mostly get people in their late 20’s & 30’s going who want 2 do more touring less drinking…[br][br]The lady I spoke to at top deck said mostly that this tour u would get late 20’s early 30’s … Either way it was the only conpany that went where I wanted to go… & I’m gonna hav a blast no matter what!!![br][br][br]

Haven’t heard a bad thing yet about the tour so fingers crossed we all have a great tour.

Just wondering if anyone has done this tour before. What clothes you would take in July, although it is Summer, its still the Artic Circle & wondering if it will still be cold.

Hi Steve,[br][br]Yes, there will be a suggested packing list in your final docs. [br][br]Cheers,[br][br]Anita

Hi Anita[br][br]I was wondering if there is any way I could get a copie of the suggested packing list as I would already be in Europe for 2 months before the tour starts, and was told that we do not get the final docs until about 6 weeks before the tour starts.

Hey all, I will also be on this tour leaving the 11th. I’ll be coming off a week long break after doing the mega European tour which leaves may 16. So, if anyone is planning on being in London or Dublin the week before this tour starts, hit me up!

I’m also interested to know what to pack, as far as going to the arctic circle is concerned.

I Mathew,

I will either be in London or Dublin (fingers crossed Dublin for the week before the tour) with a couple of my mates. I’m pretty sure Steve will be in Ireland before the tour starts.

I’m just going to pack a warm Jacket, pair of jeans and a jumper or two.

Hope it’s a great tour!

I really need to lock down my plans for that week. Thinking 2-3 days in London, then taking the train/ferry to Dublin. Not sure if I will want to explore more of the islands or not…

Hey Guys

I have not got the packing list, but I will chase it up & forward it on to you if I can get it.

Hi everyone,

I did the Scenic Scandi trip (Starting in Oslo, finishing in Tallinn) in July last year, and had an awesome time! I think you’ve made a good choice. I actually wanted to start off in Berlin and go to Tallinn, but that leg of the trip was fully booked.

Just a few things to be aware of:

-Norway is very expensive, so make sure you take enough money with you. As most of the meals are provided, it’s really just down to snacks & maybe the odd meal here and there, add ons (eg the Viking Museum in Oslo, bobsleigh ride etc) and any souvenirs, alcohol etc.
As an example, a beer in a pub in Oslo cost me around NZ$17, and a big mac combo was around NZ$25. Most of the people that were already on the trip when I joined had bought alcohol with them from Germany or Sweden as it’s apparently much cheaper there, so if you fancy having a few drinks that’s probably not a bad idea. I don’t mean to scare you, but I’d much rather you knew in advance!

-I’d recommend doing all of the optional extras, such as the bobsleigh ride at Lillehammer (LOTS of fun!), Polar Zoo, and the Nordkapp excursion to see the midnight sun. I guess they depend on your own interests though. As far as I’m aware, no one regretted doing the optional extras, but some of those who didn’t do them, did!

-Don’t forget to take togs for the ‘polar plunge’ - everyone on my trip did it, and it certainly wakes you up! It’s good to say that you’ve done it too.

-I can’t remember exactly where it was, but in Tallinn (it was a few minutes walk from the town square, in a roughly uphill direction) we found a great little place that made savoury and sweet pancakes. It was great for lunch, quite reasonable too, but don’t eat too much before the dinner that evening!

As for clothing, it got pretty cold while we were there, so make sure you pack some warm clothes to take!

That is all I can think of for the time being, I hope that helps! If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I kept a travel blog of my trip, but I think it’s probably best to let you discover things for yourselves.

Hope you have a great time!

Oh, I just thought of something else! If anyone is flying into Oslo with Ryanair (and possibly with some other airlines I guess), you will fly into Torp Sandefjord airport, which is NOT in Oslo, but is a one and a half or so (from memory) hour bus ride away. There is a shuttle bus which goes at regular intervals, and in my case it was still cheaper to do this than fly directly into Oslo. This takes you to the central bus station, which is a short walk away from a town square, which has a tourist information place next to it, and they can help you find the bus stop (not far away) you need to get to the accomodation for the first night. Most people speak at least basic English so it shouldn’t be a big problem to find your way there.

Hope this helps!